Moving can be a stressful experience. One way to minimize the anxiety is to make sure you are prepared in advance of moving day. Organizing will go a long way in making the move smooth and enjoyable. Here are several tips on how to organize your move:
- Purging before packing begins– The first task is to go through your belongings and decide what to take and what to give away, donate or throw in the trash. Maybe you have a relative that could use a piece of furniture or wall hanging that will not look good at the new residence. You can have a yard sale to recoup some of the cost of moving. This will eliminate packing belongings and bringing them with you for no reason.
- Pack rooms separately- Boxes should contain items from one room and be labeled clearly. This can save significant time when unpacking because boxes can be put in the appropriate room immediately and not have to be moved a second time around the house. Unpacking will go much smoother if you know that all the boxes in a certain room belong there. Boxes can even be labeled with a list of the contents, but this will take extra time.
- Have a game plan- Some rooms can be completely packed up early and others need to be held to last. A spare room, dining room. attic and basement among others can be made ready to go weeks before moving day. This gives you more time to take care of anything that you forgot or didn’t take into account when making a plan. You will probably want to leave some items from the kitchen for last such as cold drinks in the refrigerator and a few plates and utensils for lunch on moving day.
- The sooner the better-You probably see the repeating theme here. This is the key to a successful move. If you don’t do any other organizing, starting weeks in advance can save you money and your sanity. Any problems that come up will have time to be resolved before becoming a major situation that will break the budget. Contact your helpers early to be sure they are available to be there on that day. Don’t assume everyone can help whenever you need them. It is better to find out early that you need to find another helper rather than getting surprised close to the day and having to scramble to look for someone else.
- Pack an essentials bag- One trick that can be very helpful is to have a backpack, box, or bag which contains important items that you will need during the day such as medication, important paperwork, toiletries, a few tools, and essential items for your pet. You never know when a pair of pliers can be a lifesaver. This way you don’t need to waste time opening and resealing boxes looking for something.
Moving doesn’t have to be overly stressful if you stay organized and start early. Don’t be afraid to contact your moving company and ask questions. A reputable mover has extensive knowledge of problems that can arise during the moving process. Please Contact Winter Moving and Storage when considering relocation for any reason. We are located in the Northwest Arkansas area and can handle all types of moves. Our experienced staff is professional and courteous. Don’t let moving cause you stress. Our award-winning associates can help you have an enjoyable moving experience.