Spring is the time for cleaning. If it’s also moving time, you will want to make sure everything looks good for the new owner or tenant. Your security deposit may depend on it and you don’t want any problems at the closing if you are moving into a new home.
Here are several tips about cleaning before you move out:
A little planning ahead of time goes a long way to make your job go smoother and keep you on schedule. Make a list of cleaning supplies and pick everything up before cleaning day. It can be frustrating if you have to stop and run to the store. Your time is valuable. Plan on taking a few days, maybe a weekend, to do a good job. Try to have a helper for the cleaning if possible.
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Carpet Shampoo Machine – You can rent this if necessary
- Cleaning rags and paper towels
- Glass Cleaner
- Disinfectant Cleaner – A container of wipes does a good job
- Oven Cleaner – If necessary
- Broom and dustpan – This is all you need for hardwood floors unless you are refinishing the floor
- Brush for scrubbing
Be sure to have extra vacuum bags and paper towels. You can run out of these items quickly. If any painting or staining is necessary, have this done before cleaning the room. The less clutter during the cleaning process, the better. Keep the area as open as possible.
Do Your Homework
Long before cleaning day, make a list of your belongings and decide which items are coming with you and which are being donated or put in the trash. Measure your furniture to ensure it will fit in the new space. Donate or give your family the pieces that will not work in your new home. Don’t bring it along only to realize you can’t use it. You can do this a little at a time if you start weeks before moving day. You may want to do this one room at a time.
Now, it’s time to begin cleaning. Here is a checklist of cleaning tasks:
- Vacuum the floors – This includes cleaning the baseboards, carpets, and hardwood floors. You may want to shampoo the carpets if vacuuming doesn’t do the job.
- Doors and Windows – Don’t skip the window sills and door frames. This is one of the first things people notice when doing a final inspection if you are selling your home. Dust window treatments, such as shades and blinds. Wash the inside and outside of the windows.
- Light Fixtures – Dust around ceiling lights and lampshades. Replace any bulbs if necessary. It makes a big difference in the look of a room.
- Kitchen Cleaning – Wipe out the cabinets and clean the oven door. The Fridge is a common place where dust collects, especially under the door and along the sides. If you can’t move it to clean it, use a vacuum attachment to reach the narrow places.
- Exterior – You don’t need to do complete landscaping, but sweep walkways, driveway, and porches. If you are in an apartment or office, you can cross this off the list.
Please contact Winter Moving & Storage for a free estimate about a relocation. We are located in Northwest Arkansas and have been proudly serving individuals and businesses since 1979. Our friendly staff is happy to answer all your questions regarding local or long-distance relocations. We are looking forward to helping you during this exciting time!