As exciting as it can be to move to a new home, it can also be quite expensive. There are a lot of moving costs that many people don’t take into account, which is why it’s so important to budget for your move. The following are just a few of the things that you should budget for when planning a move:
- Professional moving company: Don’t forget to budget for the moving company’s fees. If you hire a moving company, then you will have to pay for their services. The cost of working with a moving company will vary based on how big of a truck you need, how much manpower is needed, and how far the move will be. As such, you need to ensure that you have the money available for these expenses.
- Extra insurance: If you are hiring professional movers to help with your move, then you will have to budget for insurance costs as well. Although professional moving services do include insurance as part of their service, you may want to spend extra to improve your coverage in the event that something happens. Accidents can happen, even with the most reputable moving services.
- Packing Materials: In addition to the costs of hiring professional movers, you will also be responsible for the materials that they use. This can add up to quite a large sum of money. As such, you should consider the packing materials that will be required and keep track of how much these materials will cost you. Such materials can include cardboard boxes, packing tape, packing peanuts, and more.
- Car tune-up: If you have a car, you will want to make sure that it is working properly before moving day, especially if you’re moving long-distance. The last thing you want is your car to break down halfway through a cross-country move, after all. You may end up having to pay for an oil change, new tires, and any other issue that’s found during the inspection. It can be a large expense to simply replace parts that are already worn, so it may be better to have them serviced before your move.
- Hotel costs: If you will need to stay in a hotel for the duration of your move, then don’t forget to budget for these expenses. It’s likely that you will have to stay in a hotel for several nights, especially if your move takes place over the weekend. As such, you need to ensure that you have enough money to cover these expenses.
- Paying for gas: If you are driving, you will have to budget for the cost of gas. If you plan on moving a great distance, then you’re going to need to allocate funds towards keeping your car gassed up.
- Paying for storage: In addition to the costs of packing, there are also the expenses involved in storing your belongings while you are moving. This is especially true if you are downsizing and you don’t have space for all of your belongings at your new home. If this is the case, you’ll need to rent a storage unit.
The above are just some of the expenses that you need to budget for when moving. As you can see, this list is quite long, so make sure that you take into account all of the expenses that could arise when moving. To schedule a move or to request a free moving estimate, be sure to contact us at Winter Moving & Storage in Bentonville, AR, today.