A long-distance move is considered to be more than 400 miles. It is not much different than a local relocation, except for added care that should be taken during preparation. You will need to find a moving company experienced in long-distance operation and added care is needed when packing your belongings.
Here are several items you need to consider carefully for a long-distance move:
- Extended time frame- A good rule of thumb for long-distance moving is to double the time you would allocate for each task of the process. This will allow extra packing time for items that hold special meaning to family members. You will also have time to resolve any issues concerning regulations or documentation for a new location. Many new rules and regulations have been added in recent years. Keep in mind that the added time may affect anyone helping you because of various commitments and schedules, so everyone needs to be made aware of the time involved.
- Find an experienced long-distance mover- This could be considered the most important tip. A moving company with experience in this type of operation will know all the requirements and be able to answer your questions quickly saving you valuable time. The last thing you want is a last-minute surprise on moving day.
- Packing for a long-distance move- You don’t want to take a chance with left-over used boxes that have been sitting in your garage. There are packing supplies made especially for moving which are heavy duty. A weak damaged box can open during a long journey and spill out your fragile items. Using new made-for-moving supplies will stop this from happening. Home improvement centers usually carry these packing supplies. Here is a list of basic packing supplies:
- Packing tape
- Permanent markers
- Strong plastic baggies of different sizes
- Bubble wrap
- Heavy duty boxes for wall hangings, electronics, and other breakable items.
- Moving Insurance– All moving companies are required to offer you liability, but you may want to upgrade to a more comprehensive private insurance for a long-distance move.
There are ways to save money when deciding on a moving budget. Moving during the off-season can cost significantly less than during the summer months when most people schedule a relocation. Another tip is to schedule a middle-of-the-week move instead of a weekend. The middle of the month is a better choice than the beginning or end of the month. Any of these can save you moving expenses if it is possible for your specific situation.
If you live in an area where parking is limited, be sure to arrange to have enough spaces available for moving trucks close to your home. You don’t want to lose valuable time trying to make room when the trucks arrive there. The trick is to be ready to go and the operation will go smoothly. Once you lose time, especially early in the day, it is hard to recover later.
The bottom line is to allow extra time, be prepared, and hire a reputable moving company. There will be a minimum of problems so you can enjoy the experience. Please consider contacting Winter Moving and Storage when moving long-distance. We have been proudly serving customers in the Northwest Arkansas area since 1979. Local or cross-country moves are handled with equal care with the customer in mind. Our staff is happy to answer all your questions and concerns. We look forward to being part of your moving experience.
No comments yet.