Moving can be a challenging process; whether you’re moving down the block or to another state, upgrading or downsizing. Because of this, you’ll want to make sure that you not only hire a reputable moving company like Winter Moving & Storage but also plan well in advance. The following moving checklist will help ensure that you’re ready to go once moving day rolls around, thereby ensuring that things go as smoothly as possible:
- Schedule your moving day — You’ll want to schedule your moving day a month or two ahead of time if possible. This gives you plenty of time to get ready. It should also give you enough time to find a reputable moving company. If you wait too long to schedule a move, you’ll find that the best local movers may have already been booked. This is especially true during the busy season (spring and summer).
- Organize your belongings — Begin sorting your belongings. There’s no need to move items that you don’t need any more; doing so is just a waste of time and money. Recycle old electronics, sell old furniture and clothing at a garage sale, donate everything else, and toss what can’t be donated. The less you have to pack and bring with you, the easier your move will end up being.
- Begin collecting moving supplies — Begin collecting moving supplies, such as boxes, labels, and tape. If you wait until the last minute, you’re going to end up having to pay a premium for these supplies. If you get started early, you should be able to find many moving supplies for free. Head to local grocery stores, office supply stores, and liquor stores to request free boxes. You can also check Craigslist for moving supplies. People who have just finished moving to your area may offer free boxes if you go pick them up.
- Create an inventory — Once everything is organized, make sure you take a basic inventory of everything. This is particularly important when it comes to your most valuable items, such as jewelry or collectibles.
- Begin packing way ahead of time — Waiting until the last day to pack is never a good idea. This will result in massive amounts of stress and also be easier to lose track of where everything is packed. Start packing a month or so out. This way, you can just pack one or two boxes a day, making sure to inventory those boxes and to correctly label them. This will make unpacking much more manageable.
- Make your home easy to access — Measure your doorways and your larger pieces of furniture to figure out which entrances/exits they can go through. Clear a path to every room to make it easy and safe for movers to access. If you live in an apartment community, find out if you need to reserve space for the moving truck to park as close to your apartment as possible.
- Service your vehicle — Lastly, this moving checklist item is if you’re moving far away. You’ll want to make sure that you bring your car in for a tune-up. The last thing you want is for your vehicle to break down during your move.
By using this moving checklist, you’ll make sure that you’re prepared come moving day. Not planning can cause all kinds of problems on the day of the move that can be quite costly, whether it takes much longer than it should or, even worse, forces you to delay the move and reschedule. For information about our professional moving services or to request a free moving estimate, be sure to contact us at Winter Moving & Storage today.